Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead
Release Date: July 29th, 2014
Razorbill, 416 Pages
Source: Bought the book
Age Group: Young Adult
Series: Bloodlines #5
Other Books in this series: Bloodlines, The Fiery Heart
Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets—and human lives.
In The Fiery Heart, Sydney risked everything to follow her gut, walking a dangerous line to keep her feelings hidden from the Alchemists.
Now in the aftermath of an event that ripped their world apart, Sydney and Adrian struggle to pick up the pieces and find their way back to each other. But first, they have to survive.
For Sydney, trapped and surrounded by adversaries, life becomes a daily struggle to hold on to her identity and the memories of those she loves. Meanwhile, Adrian clings to hope in the face of those who tell him Sydney is a lost cause, but the battle proves daunting as old demons and new temptations begin to seize hold of him. . . .
Their worst fears now a chilling reality, Sydney and Adrian face their darkest hour in this heart-pounding fifth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where all bets are off.
First, let me tell you that I have loved Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy and Bloodlines books and that this book felt like a total cop out and waste of reading time. I pre-ordered Silver Shadows and it was shipped to my house in Tennessee after we moved to Texas…and I begged the buyer of our old house to send it to me in Texas. I was so anxious to read it! I went through a lot of trouble to get this book into my hands and I swear…I have never been more disappointed in an author whose work I truly adore.
BEWARE: SPOILERS FOR SILVER SHADOWS
I’m warning you…
1) Sydney has been captured and is in re-education. Torture ensues.
2) Adrian is drunk and incredibly depressed because of spirit. Tries to get in touch with Sydney via dream walking but can’t because he’s either trashed or she’s gassed to sleep in the Alchemist facility.
3) Marcus helps Adrian form a plan. He finally reaches Sydney in dream. Sydney makes alliances at re-education center.
4) Marcus & Adrian break Sydney & other Alchemists out.
5) Sydney and Adrian decide to take off on their own. Get married in Vegas so that Adrian can get sanctuary for Sydney at Court from Lissa.
6) None of this really goes according to plan. Lissa eventually grants her asylum. Sydney’s family is still crazy.
7) Jailbait goes missing! OH MY GOODNESS. NO PROOF OF LIVING DRAGOMIR HEIR. *insert everyone freaking out*
To be continued in the next book…I can only assume.
Seriously, that’s all you need to know. It was a circus of a book and I am obviously very frustrated with such LONG portions of this book including drunk Adrian and Sydney doing the same thing in re-education. *Sigh*
Bottom Line: This should have been a novella…Bloodlines #4.5. Not Bloodlines #5.