Redeemed by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast
Release Date: October 14th, 2014
St. Martin’s Griffin, 310 Pages
Age Group: Mature Young Adult
In the final electrifying novel in the HoN series, Neferet has finally made herself known to mortals. A Dark Goddess is loose on Tulsa and the world. No single vampyre is strong enough to vanquish her – unless that creature has the power to summon the elements as well as the ability to wield Old Magick. Only Zoey Redbird is heir to such power…but because of the consequences of using Old Magick, she is unable to help. Find out who will win and who will lose in this epic battle of Light versus Darkness.
P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast are here today for a little Q &A.
1. REDEEMED, the final novel in the House of Night series just came out. How does it feel to reach the finale of the series?
PC: It’s bittersweet to come to the last HoN book. I’m excited about the new trilogy I’m working on, but I also miss Z and the Nerd Herd. I spent almost a decade with the HoN characters. I know I’m going to feel their absence as I’m at my writing desk – and at my brainstorming desk!
KC: It’s sad that the HoN series is ending. Like Mom, I’m going to miss Zoey and the Nerd Herd, but I’m going to miss our fans most of all. I hope that they’ll continue to follow us as we each begin our new projects.
2. Do you have a favorite book in House of Night?
PC: For a long time I loved CHOSEN because of the mistakes Zoey makes in that book and the lessons she learns. And my favorite novella is LENOBIA’S VOW. Since finishing REDEEMED, though, I have to say that I love it best!
KC: My favorite is LENOBIA’S VOW. I love the story, and that anyone can pick it up and read it without having to read any of the other books in the series.
3. Is there a character that you feel closest to?
PC: Aphrodite is easiest to write, and I’ll always feel close to Zoey.
KC: I love me some Heath! I guess that also means that I love Aurox too!
4. House of Night is an international phenomenon! How has the success of the series changed your life?
PC: HoN has enriched our lives on many levels. We love hearing from our fans about how they have grown up with Zoey and the group. Kristin and I get to take awesome road trips!
KC: I’ve gotten to meet so many people who have been inspired by HoN, which has made me a better person in a lot of ways.
5. Neferet is such a tragically flawed character. Her backstory made her more sympathetic, even though her choices are horrid. How much of her actions in REDEEMED, and previous books, is a result of her trying to overcome her past?
PC: Sadly, Neferet’s life choices were a direct result of her inability to let go of her father’s brutal attack and rape. I think a big part of her reaction to his abuse was a direct result of “Emily’s” inability to forgive herself. I do understand Neferet, often too well. It saddens me that the HoN world lost what could have been such a great force for Light.
6. Where do you see Zoey in 10 years?
PC: I see Z being a kick ass High Priestess!
7. Does Zoey and Stark’s relationship continue?
PC: Absolutely! Stark will always be Zoey’s Warrior.
8. Did writing the series together strengthen your relationship?
PC: Kristin and I have always been close, so that hasn’t changed. I am appreciative of her editorial eye, and love partnering with her!
KC: Mom and I have always had an amazing relationship! Working with her has made me appreciate and respect her even more.
9. Do mothers and daughters read your books together?
PC: Yes! We hear from mothers and daughters a lot! We love that they read the HoN as a team.
KC: Hearing how our books have brought mothers and daughters closer is so amazing! I love that we’ve been able to inspire connection within so many families.
10. How did you decide to write a series about vampires?
PC: My agent, Meredith Bernstein, asked me to write a series set at a vampyre finishing school, and my imagination took off from there.
11. Who is your all-time favorite fictional vampire character?
PC: I love the vampire in Robin McKinley’s wonderful book, SUNSHINE.
KC: Spike! He’s totally my boyfriend.
12. Spike or Angel?
PC: SPIKE! He’s been my boyfriend for years.
KC: No! He’s MY boyfriend, Phyllis.
13. Some have speculated that the huge surge of interest over the past few years in the paranormal romance/vampire fiction genre won’t last. What do you think?
PC: I think it’s silly to worry about genres coming and going. A good book is a good book. Excellence in storytelling will never be out of fashion.
14. What is on your nightstand now?
PC: The first book in Anne Bishop’s Jewel series, Neil Gaiman’s THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE, and the latest copy of bitch Magazine.
KC: Benadryl, my dehumidifier, and stress relieving essential oils. (I have a bit of an allergy problem.)
15. What was your favorite book as a young adult?
PC: Wow, there were so many of them! When I was a young girl I read every horse and dog book I could get my hands on (LOVE Walter Farley). As I became a teenager and a young adult, I didn’t read YA. I read lots and lots and lots of fantasy, science fiction, and romance. As a teenager my favorite series was probably Anne McCaffrey’s books about Pern. I still want to ride a golden queen dragon!
KC: I was obsessed with GOSSIP GIRLS and Lynn Ewing’s DAUGHTERS OF THE MOON series.
16. Can you tell us a little more about the philanthropic organizations that you support?
PC: I have an education foundation that helps kids through college. I’m also passionate about supporting the feminist bitch magazine and SageWoman.
PC & KC: We believe in supporting local charities like Tulsa Street Cats, the Oklahoma Equality Center, the Oklahoma Center for the Book, Philbrook and Gilcrease museums. We will also always support the Humane Society and SPCA.
17. You are about to embark on book tour – what are you most looking forward to?
PC & KC: We haven’t toured in the US for several years (been too busy writing!), so we’re really looking forward to seeing our fans from all over the US!
18. What has the response been like to the House of Night clothing line?
PC: I’ll let Kristin handle this one, as this is her baby, but I will say that I heart me some HoN merchandise!
KC: It’s been fantastic! It’s amazing when I see people out in public who are wearing one of the shirts, or have a bumper sticker on their car. I feel very honored and fortunate to have such support from our fans.
19. Your fans can’t wait for the HON movies to come out! Where are you in the process right now?
PC: This summer I worked with our wonderful screenwriter, Marc Haimes, on the treatment (which is really just a long outline) of the first movie, and he has completed the first draft of the script. Yes, I do love it!
20. What’s up next for you, PC?
PC: What’s next for me is a fantasy romance trilogy of epic proportions that I’m really excited about. I should have news for my fans in the next month or so!
21. What’s up next for you, Kristin?
KC: Right now I’m working on the first book in a new adult paranormal suspense series. Meredith Bernstein, my fabulous agent, is finalizing the contract with my new publisher and I will have exciting news this November! You can sign up to receive info about my new series at www.KCastAuthor.com.