A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies
Release Date: September 25th, 2012
HarperTeen, 352 Pages
Source: Advance Reader Copy
Age Group: Young Adult
Series: A Beautiful Dark #2
When she wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings, Skye knows something terrible has happened to her. It’s not until she hears Asher, the dark, rebellious angel she fell in love with, that the memories come flooding back. She tries to put the past behind her, but she knows she’ll be forever haunted by the ruthless betrayal that almost took her life.
Skye returns home, but with the knowledge of who she really is, nothing can ever be the same. As she tests the limits of her newfound powers, Skye discovers that she’s capable of far more than anyone could have imagined. Both the Order and the Rebellion want her for their side as war between the factions looms. She can’t forget the terrifying truth she now knows about the Order, but something holds her back from embracing the Rebellion.
This is the sequel to A Beautiful Dark and it is every bit as heart wrenching. Here are some things to look forward to in the continuation of Skye’s story:
- The relationship between Skye and Asher–It’s hard to know what to think of it. At times I’m rooting for them, other times I’m skeptical of Asher’s motives, and then I just want him to disappear. Never knowing what is going on between them leaves me wanting to know more!
- Skye’s character. She doesn’t like to be pushed around, she doesn’t want to be told what to do, and she has a hard time coming to terms with which “side” to pick (Rebellion vs. The Order).
- Angels are scary!! I learned this. The Order and their cold, brutality seriously freaks me out. The Rebellion seems like the safer choice because they defy fate and want to make their own destiny, exercise free will. The fact that Davies keeps you guessing about what is actually going to be the “right” choice for Skye! I love that.
- EVERYONE…and I mean EVERYONE has secrets. You’ll be shocked, appalled, and even really super excited to see who and what some of your favorite characters are!!
- The school gets turned into a middle ground of angels from the Rebellion and the Order…seriously?? YES, seriously! Wouldn’t you like to see how THAT goes? Of course you do.
- The storyline. I loved this story. The pacing was really good, the suspense was fantastically tortuous! I was always wondering what was going to happen next.
- Supporting characters. And they ARE supportive. They play a huge role supporting Skye and playing against her while supporting a twisting storyline.
- The characters are SO real…apart from the…um…angel situation. They are so relatable that it is easy to sympathize and empathize with some, and the author does a fantastic job of making you love-hate others. Their emotions are easy to believe and while you’re reading the tension, anger, love (ALL THE EMOTIONS) are palpable.
- THE ENDING. Oh my goodness…if you don’t pick any of the above reasons to read the book…then do it for the ending. I was absolutely stunned and thrilled with the ending!!! Jocelyn Davies does a phenomenal job of setting up the next book to be an absolute knock-out.